Garlic – a high-quality product, with many beneficial houses. This exceptional vegetable has antibacterial houses, treatment options many illnesses, consisting of numerous colds, atherosclerosis and kidney disease, strengthens capillaries. Garlic is considered to be one of the healthiest plants, or more precisely its strong-smelling bulb with pungent taste.
Water and Salt Rinses
This a well-known remedy that even your dentist will recommend. Salt has antiseptic and antibacterial properties that can help reduce inflammation, prevent bacterial growth in the mouth and prevent other infections.
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 1 glass of warm water
- Pour the salt into warm water and mix until dissolved. Rinse your mouth thoroughly with this mixture and then spit it out. Repeat this 3-4 times a day to clear infections and reduce discomfort and pain.
Oil pulling as a remedy for tooth infections as old as the hills! It is widely used in ancient Ayurvedic practices and also in the treatment of abscessed teeth or sore gums. Oil pulling helps reduce the amount of bacteria and toxins in the mouth and also promotes better oral health.
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- Warm water
- Pour one teaspoon of extra virgin coconut oil in your mouth. Swish the oil inside your mouth for about 15 minutes and then spit it out.
- Rinse your mouth thoroughly with warm water. Repeat this twice daily especially in the morning on an empty stomach for about a month.
Garlic contains an active compound called allicin, which is a natural antibiotic that helps prevent bacterial infections. It also has anti-inflammatory properties which relieve pain from swelling.
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- Peel and wash the cloves properly, then crush them and squeeze out the juice. Doing this will release the compound allicin. Apply the juice to your abscessed tooth. Repeat this process at least 2 times daily.
- Alternatively, eat 2-3 cloves of garlic (chew properly to release the allicin).
Wet Black Tea Bag
Black tea bags also contain antioxidants to help fight infections. They are especially helpful for dental abscesses because they absorb some of the toxins and pus.
- Warm water
- Black tea bag
- Soak the black tea bag in warm water for a few minutes. Wring it out and place it on the swollen area while holding or sucking on it. Leave it there for few hours or overnight and rinse your mouth with a salt water solution. Repeat once a day for a couple of weeks.
Hydrogen Peroxide is a very good antimicrobial agent that can help get rid of tooth abscesses. It has disinfectant and antibacterial properties that help kill the bacteria which cause abscessed teeth, thereby reducing inflammation and pain.
- 2 teaspoons of hydrogen peroxide
- 1 teaspoon of warm water
- Baking soda
- Cotton ball (optional)
- Mix 2 teaspoons of hydrogen peroxide with 1 tablespoon of warm water. Use this mixture to rinse your mouth thoroughly and then spit it out.
- Alternatively, mix 1 teaspoon of baking soda with 2 teaspoons of hydrogen peroxide to make a paste. Apply this paste on the affected areas for a few minutes and then rinse your mouth thoroughly with warm water. Do this for a couple of weeks.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is another very effective home remedy for abscessed teeth. It contains two beneficial acids called acetic acid and malic acid which are excellent antibacterials, antimicrobials, and antifungals. ACV also has disinfectant and anti-inflammatory properties that help reduce pain and inflammation. For this, I recommend you use Bragg Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar.
- 1 tablespoon organic apple cider vinegar
- Pour apple cider vinegar in your mouth and swish it around. Leave it in your mouth for 5 minutes and spit it out.
- Rinse your mouth with warm water. Repeat this 2-4 times daily for a month.
Turmeric is often used to reduce inflammation caused by abscessed teeth. It is rich in antibiotic, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties and also helps promotes oral health.
- Warm water
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Mix 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder with a little water to make a paste, then apply it directly to the affected tooth. Allow it to sit for about 15 minutes, then rinse off.
- Alternatively, mix 14 teaspoons of turmeric with 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Apply the paste to the affected area. Allow to sit for 15 minutes, then rinse off.
Oregano oil contains antibacterial, antioxidant and antimicrobial properties which help clear the infections. When used on an abscessed tooth, it numbs the area. Oregano oil is widely used for abscessed tooth because it helps abscess drainage while killing the bacteria in the pus. It also boost immunity and helps fight tooth infections and speeds up healing process. The best product I have used for this is the NOW Foods Oregano Oil Enteric
- 2-3 drops off oregano oil
- Cotton swab
- Pour a few drops of oregano oil directly on the cotton swab. Apply the swab directly on the affected tooth and leave to stay for about 5 minutes.
- Alternatively, prepare a mouthwash by mixing 3 to 5 drops of oregano with ¼ cup of warm water.
- Use the mixture to swish your mouth for about 5 minutes and spit out the mixture. Repeat this remedy about 3 or 4 times daily
Peppermint is a potent remedy for an abscessed tooth. Its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties help reduce inflammation and relieve you of the pain associated with an abscessed tooth. My recommendation is the Pure Body Naturals Undiluted Essential Peppermint Oil.
- 2-4 drops of Peppermint oil
- Cotton swab
- Pour few drops of peppermint oil on the swab and apply directly on the affected area. Hold the swab against your tooth for a few minutes before letting go.
- Alternatively, you can use your finger to gently apply the oil on the affected tooth. Repeat this process 3-4 times a day for at least a month.
Potato has antiseptic properties and is alkaline in nature, but with acidic properties. Its acidic property is said to help slough off dead cells and other toxins.
- Slice of raw potato
- Take the slice of raw potato and place it against affected areas. Leave it there to sit for 30 minutes or leave overnight. Then remove the potato. You should notice a bit of discolouration over it. This is due to the toxins pulled out of the infected tooth.
Chamomile contains anti-inflammatory properties which can heal injured tissues. It comes in herbs and tea form, both of which can be used to remedy abscessed tooth.
- Drink 3 to 4 cups of chamomile tea daily
- To soothe swelling, make a poultice of chamomile and apply it topically over affected area several times a day
- Alternatively, wet the tea bag and hold it against the infected tooth.
Echinacea is widely considered a natural antibiotic and it helps relieve pain and inflammation caused by infections. Echinacea is available in tinctures and capsules. I recommend the Child Life Echinacea, Glass Bottle,
- Echinacea herb
- 1 teaspoon tea bag
- Mix warm water with the herb or teabag. Leave it to steep for about 5 minutes, then strain the mixture. Use the mixture to rinse your mouth thoroughly. Repeat this 2-3 times daily
Iodine is an essential micro-nutrient.
This means every single cell of every single person needs it. Evolutionary biologists reckon that seafood consumption, and thus iodine absorption, played an important role in human brain development and evolution. Iodine also has excellent antibacterial, anticancer, antiparasitic, antifungal, and antiviral properties.
1. Thyroid, metabolism & weight
Iodine is the key to a healthy thyroid and metabolism. It is best known for being a part of thyroid hormones, which are used in every cell of our bodies to regulate metabolism and weight by controlling the burning of fat for energy and heat. Over 100 years ago iodine was shown to prevent and reverse goiter (swelling of the thyroid) and hypothyroidism. Iodine deficiency may also be involved in autoimmune disorders such as Grave’s and Hashimoto’s diseases; as studies have shown iodine-deficient patients have a higher rate of anti-thyroid antibodies.
The following illnesses are related to iodine deficiency:
- breast cancer
- thyroid cancer
- ovarian cancer
- uterus cancer
- prostate cancer
- autoimmune thyroid illnesses
- fibrocystic breast disease
- chronic fatigue
What’s more, iodine has been used to treat the following conditions:
- breast diseases
- Dupuytren’s conctracture
- excess mucous production
- fibrocystic breasts
- headaches and migraine headaches
- chronic fatigue
- liver diseases
- nephrotic syndrome
- ovarian disease
- parotid duct stones
- Peyronie’s disease
- prostate disorders
- sebaceous cysts
- thyroid disorders
- vaginal infections
- uterine fibroids
- heavy metal poisoning (mercury, lead, arsenic)
- scarlet fever
- bronchitis and pneumonia
- breast pain
- genito-urinary diseases
- stomach pains
- brain fog
- menstrual irregularities
- gum infection
- heart arrhythmia
- high cholesterol
- hair thinning
- type 2 diabetes
- eye problems
- multiple sclerosis
- small intestine bacterial overgrowth
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Orthomolecular Medicine News Service, February 1, 2017
Intravenous Vitamin C Protects Against Metabolic Syndrome and Activates Nrf2
by Nina Mikirova, PhD
(OMNS, Feb 1, 2017) Vitamin C is essential for life in humans, as the capacity to synthesize it has been lost in the course of our evolution. Besides its antioxidant properties and its role in collagen synthesis, vitamin C has been shown to boost the immune system, to markedly lower blood histamine concentrations, and to have antiviral activity. Large epidemiological studies have shown that intake of vitamin C and other antioxidants can protect against hypertension and the symptoms of diabetes mellitus (such as diabetic retinopathy), and can increase high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol (thought to be protective), and enhance endothelial function.
When vitamin C is infused intravenously at doses of 10,000 milligrams or higher, it can reach 100 times the level in the blood achievable with oral vitamin C. At this very high level, it shows cytotoxicity against some types of cancer cells. Our laboratory wanted to know whether intravenous vitamin C (IVC, 15,000 mg) would alleviate inflammation and metabolic syndrome. If this study showed positive results, this would potentially benefit millions of people world-wide with chronic inflammatory disease.
Metabolic syndrome or “adiposity” is a chronic accumulation of body fat. Metabolic syndrome is one of the major public health challenges worldwide that is characterized by:
Increased fat around the waist
Elevated blood triglycerides
Decreased HDL cholesterol
Elevated fasting glucose
Elevated blood pressure
These symptoms are associated with chronic diseases such as respiratory and cardiovascular disease, type two diabetes, fatty liver, visceral adiposis, and cancer, which all increase mortality.
Excess fat is associated with chronic low-grade inflammation. Over time this fatty tissue can release signals to the rest of the body that accelerate inflammation. This in large part explains the development of obesity-related disease. Excess fat can also cause insulin resistance and hyperglycemia. It can also trigger atherosclerosis, dyslipidemia (high blood fat levels), high blood pressure, blood clots, and ischemic stroke.
Oxidative stress caused by metabolic syndrome may also play a role in cancer development, as it causes epigenetic changes in gene expression that can promote the development of cancer.
Inflammatory cytokine signals
We wanted to understand the effects of IVC on the expression of cytokines (messenger molecules) involved in inflammation and the immune response, and to determine if IVC helps to reduce inflammation and stimulate the immune response at a genomic level.
IVC treatments increased the ascorbic acid level and the ratio of reduced to oxidized ascorbic acid in blood. This ratio was decreased in participants with a high level of inflammation in subjects with metabolic syndrome, which may be explained by their increased level of oxidative stress. Therefore, the higher the ratio of reduced to oxidized ascorbic acid, the better for treatment. In this regard, vitamin C was considered as a “healing factor” by Irwin Stone.
Our study showed that after IVC treatment, the “inflammation score,” defined by the level of inflammatory and anti-inflammatory cytokines, was decreased. IVC treatment evidently modulated immunological genes in blood cells, suggesting potential benefits in regulating inflammation and redox potential. Several other markers of inflammation and anti-inflammation associated with metabolic syndrome were improved, which indicated a decreased risk for chronic disease.
This finding is very important because it proved that IVC treatment of metabolic syndrome and low-grade inflammation resulted in a lower “inflammation score,” which is thought to protect against many types of chronic disease.
Nrf2 regulates antioxidants
Our laboratory analyzed the expression after IVC treatment of one of the factors responsible for the enzymes and proteins involved in the stress response.
This was nuclear respiratory factor 2 (Nrf2), a transcription factor that regulates the expression of several enzymes that synthesize antioxidants and detoxifying molecules.[1,3] In addition, Nrf2 enhances the expression of genes involved in cell energy production and maintenance, which are essential for health and longevity. Nrf2 signaling is essential for detoxification of reactive metabolites and reactive oxygen species (ROS). This factor also helps cells to get rid of toxins. The products of Nrf2 signaling enhance protection against molecular damage. Our study showed that after IVC treatment, genes coding for Nrf2 and several other important signaling molecules were up-regulated. This activation of Nrf2, by IVC treatment can protect against age-related degenerative diseases and cancer,
Aging causes a decline in levels of Nrf2 that promotes oxidative damage. This mechanism is involved in many aged-related diseases, such as Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s, and Huntington’s diseases, and animal models of atherosclerosis.[5-9]
In many disease states, oxidative and/or inflammatory stress has a crucial role. Degenerative and immunological disorders, including atherosclerosis, inflammatory bowel disease, diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, HIV/AIDS, neurological disorders, sepsis, and many others, affect more than 45 million people worldwide. Though these diseases appear to be very different, the Nrf2 pathway plays an important role in many of them.
Nrf2 is able to prevent disease by suppressing oxidative stress, so interventions that activate Nrf2 would promote longevity, healthy aging and lower cancer incidence. Recent medical research has shown that Nrf2-activating strategies – which can include drugs, foods, dietary supplements, and exercise – can prevent a wide variety of diseases.
Activation of Nrf2 can protect against acute insults to the lung, kidney, brain, liver, eye and heart that are caused by diverse factors including chemical toxins. Nrf2 activation can help to prevent chronic diseases such as diabetes and obesity, and several neurodegenerative diseases. Nrf2 activity improves atherosclerosis, liver inflammation, and fibrosis associated with obesity in a mouse model. It also is known to be important in rheumatoid arthritis. Oxidative stress is significantly involved in cartilage degradation in arthritis; and the presence of a functional Nrf2 gene is essential for maintaining and rebuilding new cartilage.
In summary, the activation of the Nrf2 pathway has been widely accepted as a promising anti-inflammatory treatment for many diseases including cancer.
Our study demonstrated that high dose vitamin C can protect against inflammation in subjects with metabolic syndrome. Our results suggest that the activation of transcription factor Nrf2 by IVC treatment can induce protection against age-related degenerative diseases and cancer.
(Dr. Nina Mikirova is director of research at the Riordan Clinic in Wichita, Kansas. She earned her PhD in physics and mathematics at Moscow State University in Russia. Dr. Mikirova has published more than 40 peer-reviewed papers in the area of nutrients as biological response modifiers, and 50 articles in the field of biomedical effects of solar radiation.)
1. Mikirova N, Scimeca RC. Intravenous high-dose ascorbic acid reduces the expression of inflammatory markers in peripheral mononuclear cells of subjects with metabolic syndrome. Journal of Translational Science. (2016) Volume 2(3):188-195. doi: 10.15761/JTS.1000139 https://oatext.com/pdf/JTS-2-139.pdf
2. Godala MM, Materek-Kuzmierkiewicz I, Moczulski D, et al. Lower Plasma Levels of Antioxidant Vitamins in Patients with Metabolic Syndrome: A Case Control Study. Adv Clin Exp Med. 2016 Jul-Aug;25(4):689-700. doi: 10.17219/acem/41049.
3. Holmström KM, Kostov RV, Dinkova-Kostova AT. The multifaceted role of Nrf2 in mitochondrial function. Curr Opin Toxicol. 2016 Dec;1:80-91. doi: 10.1016/j.cotox.2016.10.002.
4. Hawkins KE, Joy S, Delhove JM, Kotiadis VN, et al. NRF2 Orchestrates the Metabolic Shift during Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell Reprogramming. Cell Rep. 2016 Mar 1;14(8):1883-91. doi: 10.1016/j.celrep.2016.02.003.
5. Pajares M, Cuadrado A, Rojo AI. Modulation of proteostasis by transcription factor NRF2 and impact in neurodegenerative diseases. Redox Biol. 2017 Jan 10;11:543-553. doi: 10.1016/j.redox.2017.01.006. [Epub ahead of print]
6. Sun Y, Yang T, Leak RK, Chen JH, Zhang F. Preventive and protective roles of dietary Nrf2 activators against central nervous system diseases. CNS Neurol Disord Drug Targets. 2017 Jan 2. [Epub ahead of print]
7. Kowluru RA, Mishra M. Epigenetic regulation of redox signaling in diabetic retinopathy: Role of Nrf2. Free Radic Biol Med. 2017 Feb;103:155-164. doi: 10.1016/j.freeradbiomed.2016.12.030.
8. Prasad KN. Oxidative stress and pro-inflammatory cytokines may act as one of the signals for regulating microRNAs expression in Alzheimer’s disease. Mech Ageing Dev. 2016 Dec 10. pii: S0047-6374(16)30291-3. doi: 10.1016/j.mad.2016.12.003. [Epub ahead of print]
9. Handy DE, Loscalzo J. Responses to reductive stress in the cardiovascular system. Free Radic Biol Med. 2016 Dec 8. pii: S0891-5849(16)31090-5. doi: 10.1016/j.freeradbiomed.2016.12.006. [Epub ahead of print]
10. Jiménez-Osorio AS, Gonz lez-Reyes S, Pedraza-Chaverri J. Natural Nrf2 activators in diabetes. Clin Chim Acta. 2015 Aug 25;448:182-92. doi: 10.1016/j.cca.2015.07.009.
The Health Supplement Ingredient That Could be Causing Cancer
Titanium dioxide particles have been linked to increased oxidative stress.4 Oxidative stress is a condition characterized by free radical damage within the body that causes cellular instability and chronic inflammation. This state of high oxidative stress stimulates cellular and DNA damage and is a major player in the formation of cancer cells and other chronic disease states.
These nano-sized titanium dioxide particles are able to slip through the gut lining and into the blood stream. They are also able to escape the immune system’s natural defenses and are able to float around in the blood stream and interfere with key biological functions.
A growing body of evidence supports that 500 nm sized titanium dioxide particles (at least 5 times larger than the size of nano-particles also found in food) can be absorbed through the gastrointestinal tract and stored in organs such as the liver and spleen. Smaller particles (ranging from 80 nm to 155 nm) had detectable damage to not only neighboring organs of the digestive tract, but also to the brain.4
Findings have shown that titanium dioxide exposure increases free radical stress, reactive oxygen species formation, and chronic inflammation throughout the body.4 This process may promote cell proliferation and deactivate normal cell apoptosis processes that control cancer cell development.
The presence of a protein known as PAD (peptidylarginine deiminase) appears to be induced when in the presence of titanium dioxide particles. PAD is present in cellular conditions exhibiting increased oxidative stress and inflammation.